Explains the relationship between challenges and skills.
Flow: The psychology of happiness by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi
When doing any task there are 2 factors involved:
- The challenge – how complex is the task itself
- The skill – how hard / easy is it for the person to do the task
These 2 factors intersect in a point called “Flow”.
The intersection can explain several emotions that arise within a person.
Frustration – When a task is too complex and the and the skill does not meet the challenge
Boredom – When a task is too simple and skill far exceeds the challenge
Flow – When the challenge and the skill are just right for each other.
In Flow a person enters a mental space where:
- there is loss of time
- in many cases there is a deep sense of joy
- there is a sense of meaning
- Helps understand what is happening when experiencing frustration, or boredom.
- To find Flow in any task, it is possible consider whether changing the complexity or whether the skill required can be changed.